Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Another day, another refused dinner...


It was kind of a long rainy day today, I was late for dinner. Kate was in the 'pre-dinner and bed' I am going to whine a lot type mood. Other members of the family were in worse moods. Time to wrap up the day.

Nice pork loin, green beans and French bread. One screaming toddler. Not eating anything in front of her. Now, I know she is hungry because she was eager to get into the booster seat. She is signing for eat. A beautiful meal is in front of her, the family is around the table. And she is hysterical.

Next step is ignoring her. Talking to Ed. Still not eating, and crying continue. I hear in my mind all the people that say things like, 'don't give in or you'll end up being a short order cook.', and 'you have to set the pattern for the rest of her life.' Oh, she is starting to pearce the last part of my brain that is still functioning with a high pitched squawk.

Now, I am telling Ed that I feel that I have spent the last 20 some months trying to get her to eat. I am going to cry. Instead I am getting out the pineapple and strawberries that she eagerly takes and eats. And then some animal crackers are mixed in. I get to finish my meal even though she is sitting in my lap now.

I guess I will be a short order cook.

Your children are not your children. They are sons and daughters of life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you. And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you. You may give them your love but not your thoughts for they have their own thoughts. You may house their bodies but not their souls, for their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams. You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you. For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday. ---Kahlil

2 comments:

  1. So I disagree with the short order cook thing and I don't think you should beat yourself up about it. Isaac eats mac and cheese once or twice a week because I know he will eat it. I offer him what we eat, but sometimes the kid wants container of yogurt and crackers. And I give it to him - because if he eats he sleep.s Don't beat yourself up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I hear you. I'm kinda with Becky. I don't want to be a short order cook either, but I think at the age our kiddos are at, having them eat is more important than that they eat what we want them to. I'm kinda of the mind set that I'll be the "short order cook" for now...and when she's older, she can have the talk about she eats what's in front of her. You did good! She ate. She was satisfied. :)

    ReplyDelete