Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Strawberry Market



We grow a lot of berries here in the Skagit Valley. We grow strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and a types of varieties of each. I am an absolute fruit nut. When I was a little girl, you could get a job picking strawberries in the summer. It wasn't a lot of money but, we would do it to earn school clothes money. When I picked strawberries, my mom said I didn't even cover my lunch money. I am surprised I didn't get fired because I just sat out in the field and ate strawberries all day. Well, I did like to talk a lot too. I remember one day when a friends dad came to pick us up to go home, the field manager said I couldn't leave until I finished picking a flat. The dad objected, until he heard I hadn't picked a single flat all day.

Needless to say, I fill up every year when the berries are ripe. I've already made going to the Strawberry market a big outing for Kate too. Its a outdoor farm stand, that has you pick fields. I like to go there because I can buy lots of fresh veggies too, and well the strawberry shortcake, shakes and sundaes are awesome. They have little mini picnic tables out behind the ice cream shack, and Kate loves to climb all over them. The pictures are from our Sunday outing to the strawberry market. She is doing one of her latest things, have squat and scream at mom. But she did think the strawberry sundae was good. Amazing how much she will eat off a spoon when she likes it.

It was a nice morning. And I hate to admit it but, I've eaten almost a whole flat of strawberries in four days.

No comments:

Post a Comment