Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cats... more weapons than any other animal.


Cats. Felines. Kitties. No matter what you call them, they can be a challenge to work with day in and day out. I recently have had a run of not so pleasant feline patients. When I get home lately I've been thankful that I still have all my own body parts.

First one has to realize that what we love about a cat also makes them a challenging patient. Most cats are relatively independent. They like to do things on their own terms. Stand in front of the computer screen when someone is working, why not? Sunbath on your book or stack of important papers, also a great idea. They love the people in their lives but typically they are not there to serve them. Not the mighty feline. They are here to be served. If you have any doubts, just ask your cat to sit. Get comfortable because you may be waiting awhile.

Now don't get me wrong, I adore cats. I think they are wonderful animals. They can be a bit more complex, elusive and all around different from their dog counterparts. But, to work with this type of privileged animal can at times be a bit draining.

Imagine trying to draw some blood from an animal that has left its comfortable home (only once in the last year), has just had a traumatic ride in a small cob-web filled carrier, and is now in a place that smells, sounds and most likely feels like an animal torture center. Furthermore, said animal doesn't feel good possibly uncomfortable, dehydrated or even nauseous.

So yes, I appreciate these complex creatures and I empathize with the experience of coming to the veterinarians. But I beg of you sweet kitty cats, be nice. Keep your 20 claws to yourself. And those sharp little teeth, I really don't want to examine them as they sink into my wrist. Lets be friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment